Jessica heads up the firm’s Technology & Media team which advises a wide range of companies from technology start-ups to large IP-rich businesses with UK and overseas interests.
“IT and IP law is a great area to work in. It’s a good mix of science, technology and creativity, all of which interest me. It’s a fast changing and challenging environment, which constantly develops. I really enjoy the differing demands of the sector – so I can be advising an artist in the morning, followed by an outsourcing client, swiftly followed by a publishing business and then a charity client in the afternoon! I get a buzz from getting into the nitty gritty, working out what the client really needs in its overall business and tailoring the legal solution to that.”
The Legal 500 UK 2010 edition recognises Jessica as 'knowledgeable’; Jessica Bent ‘provides excellent advice’ and is 'caring and great to work with'.
Jessica advises in the following areas:
- Branding – registration, portfolio management, licensing, oppositions and infringement of domestic and international trade marks;
- Media and creative - copyright clearance, infringement, publishing and licensing, marketing and design contracts, design right protection and infringement;
- Digital – website contracts, e-commerce, data protection and privacy;
- Music – recording, management, producer agreements;
- Technology - patent, technology and know-how licensing and infringement;
- R&D – research agreements, PhD agreements, collaborations, licensing, funding;
- IT – reseller, outsourcing, distribution, licensing, development and procurement.
Jessica is an Associate Member of the Institute of Trade Mark Agents and regularly writes for specialist and industry publications as well as delivering presentations to businesses and universities on intellectual property and technology matters.
Institute of Trade Mark Agents